Andreescu caps off night session with three-set victory over Golubic
A wild day at the U.S. Open ends in appropriate fashion, as Bianca Andreescu outlasts Viktorija Golubic in a tight three-setter. Andreescu awaits Lauren Davis in round two.
US Open 2021, women’s singles, 1st round
Andreescu (6) d. Golubic: 7-5, 4-6, 7-5
- What happened: Andreescu survived a tough opponent and also a mid-match stomach bug.
- You will also learn: The Canadian hit five times as many winners as Golubic in the final set.
- Why you should read this: It was an emotional win for Andreescu, who has been plagued by injuries.
Playing in her first US Open match since winning the tournament in 2019, Bianca Andreescu survived a night-session thriller against Viktorija Golubic on Tuesday. Andreescu battled back from a break down in the third set to prevail after two hours and 48 minutes.
The Canadian, who missed all of 2020 and has also been dealing with injuries throughout the 2021 campaign, needed every bit of her best tennis to get past an in-form Golubic. Andreescu delivered it in the first set, recovering from an early break down to eventually take control with a streak of 11 straight points in her favor.
A sudden feeling of illness came over Andreescu at 2-2 in the second, and even though she started to feel better shortly thereafter the set got away from her. Golubic used one break at 4-4 to force a decider.
The Swiss seemed to be on her way to an upset win when she seized a 4-2 advantage, but — like in the first set — Andreescu came up with her best tennis when it mattered most. The world No 7 reeled off 12 of the next 14 points to storm ahead 5-4. Golubic successfully served to stay alive in the 10th game, but she could not do the same at 5-6. Andreescu struck for a match-clinching service break to set up a second-round date with Lauren Davis.
The 21-year-old struck 15 winners in the final set compared to Golubic’s three. Overall, Andreescu finished with 40 winners; Golubic had 15.
Full summary of Tuesday’s action at the US Open
- Seeds winning on Tuesday at the US Open (1st round): Ash Barty (1), Karolina Pliskova (4), Bianca Andreescu (6), Iga Swiatek (7), Petra Kvitova (10), Belinda Bencic (11), Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (14), Maria Sakkari (17), Jessica Pegula (23), Paula Badosa (24), Anett Kontaveit (28), Veronika Kudermetova (29), Petra Martic (30)
- Seed losing on Tuesday at the US Open (1st round): Karolina Muchova (22)
- To follow our full coverage of the 2021 US Open, please visit this page.
- To follow live results, to see the men’s draw and women’s draw, we recommend you follow the official US Open website.
- Tomorrow’s programme at the US Open is available here (and by the way, today’s schedule is here).
- All the practical information – how to watch the tournament, how to buy tickets and everything else you could possibly need to know – is hopefully in this page.