into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Indian Wells: Pliskova moves into last 16, to meet Sakkari next
The former world No 1 upset 11th seed Veronika Kudermetova 6-1, 7-5 on Sunday
Karolina Pliskova | © Icon SMI / Panoramic
BNP Paribas Open •Third round • completedSee draw
Czech Karolina Pliskova, the No 17 seed, defeated Russian Veronika Kudermetova, the No 11 seed, 6-1, 7-5 to advance to the last 16 of the BNP Paribas Open in Indian Wells on Sunday.
Pliskova, a former world No 1 who is now ranked No 17, will play Greek Maria Sakkari, the No 7 seed, next.
Ahead of her win on Sunday, the Czech edged out Russian Anna Kalinskaya (2-6, 6-0, 6-4).
Kudermetova, ranked No 11, had won against Anna Blinkova (6-3, 6-4) in the previous round of the Indian Wells tournament.
Indian Wells WTA 1000, other third-round matches (Indian Wells Tennis Garden, hard, USD 8,800,000):
- Maria Sakkari beat Anhelina Kalinina (27): 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
- Rebecca Peterson beat Jil Teichmann: 3-6, 6-3, 6-1
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Daria Kasatkina
- Elena Rybakina vs. Paula Badosa
- Martina Trevisan vs. Karolina Muchova
- Ons Jabeur vs. Marketa Vondrousova
- Leylah Fernandez vs. Caroline Garcia
- Bernarda Pera vs. Sorana Cirstea
- Emma Raducanu vs. Beatriz Haddad Maia
- Iga Swiatek vs. Bianca Andreescu
- Lesia Tsurenko vs. Aryna Sabalenka
- Petra Kvitova vs. Jelena Ostapenko
- Barbora Krejcikova vs. Xinyu Wang
- Coco Gauff vs. Linda Noskova
- Anastasia Potapova vs. Jessica Pegula
You might also like this
Swiatek says Mikaela Shiffrin’s skiing record is akin to Federer, Nadal, Djokovic and Serena Williams
Aryna Sabalenka on Grand Slam glory: ‘I want to feel that again!’
Jabeur in cryptic explanation of battle to return from injury in Indian Wells: “When the time is right, I’ll tell you what was going on really.”
14 tennis players, including Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka, Billie Jean King and Arthur Ashe, who have taken a stand on social issues
Azarenka, Townsend and now Kerber: The 12 super mums still active on the WTA Tour