into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Mérida Open: Giorgi moves into last eight
Camila Giorgi beat Nuria Parrizas Diaz 7-6 (5), 6-2 on Wednesday night and will play the winner of the match between Russian lucky loser Varvara Gracheva and American Sloane Stephens, the second seed, in the next round
Italian Camila Giorgi reached the last eight of the Mérida Open by defeating Spaniard Nuria Parrizas Diaz 7-6 (5), 6-2 at the Yucatan Country Club on Wednesday night.
Giorgi, ranked No 68, will play the winner of the match between Russian lucky loser Varvara Gracheva and American Sloane Stephens, the second seed, next.
Ahead of her victory, the Italian won against Egyptian Mayar Sherif, the No 6 seed (6-4, 6-2).
Parrizas Diaz, ranked No 79, beat Croat qualifier Ana Konjuh (6-4, 6-7 (2), 6-2) in the previous round.
Mérida WTA 250, other second-round results (Yucatan Country Club, hard, USD 259.303, most recent results first):
- Ysaline Bonaventure vs. Katerina Siniakova
- Varvara Gracheva vs. Sloane Stephens
- Magda Linette vs. Panna Udvardy
- Rebecca Peterson vs. Alycia Parks
- Elisabetta Cocciaretto vs. Xinyu Wang
- Catherine McNally beat Katie Volynets (WC): 6-3, 6-0
- Kimberly Birrell (Q) beat Xiyu Wang: 6-3, 6-2