Poland, Federer, Miami: Everything you always wanted to know about Hubert Hurkacz (but never had time to find out) – updated after 2024 Australian Open

Hubert Hurkacz is one of the rising stars on the ATP Tour. From a talented family, he’s already won six titles and is set to win many more. Here is all you need to know about the Pole

Hubert Hurkacz Miami Open 2021 Hubert Hurkacz Miami Open 2021 © Panoramic / Tennis Majors

Who is Hubert Hurkacz?

Hubert Hurkacz is a professional tennis player from Poland who competes on the ATP Tour. He was born on February 11, 1997 in Wroclaw, Poland and still lives in his home town.

Did Hubert Hurkacz play the 2023 ATP Finals?

Hubert Hurkacz did not qualify directly for the 2023 ATP Finals but stepped in to replace the injured Stefanos Tsitsipas for the final match in the Green Group. He lost to Novak Djokovic 7-6 (1), 4-6, 6-1.

What did Hurkacz achieve at the Shanghai Masters in 2023?

The Pole won his second Masters 1000 title at the 2023 Shanghai Masters, beating Andrey Rublev in the final, needing a third-set tiebreak to get over the line.

How many titles has Hubert Hurkacz won in his career?

Seven. Hurkacz won his first title in Winston-Salem in 2019. He won three more titles in 2021 – in Metz, Miami and Delray Beach – and a fifth on grass in Halle in 2022. His then won in Marseille in February, 2023, when he beat Frenchman Benjamin Bonzi 6-3, 7-6 in the final.

Hurkacz’s latest title came in Shanghai in 2023, when he won his seventh ATP title and second Masters 1000 title.

What did Hurkacz do at the 2023 Laver Cup?

Hubert Hurkacz made his Laver Cup debut in 2023, representing Team Europe at the three day event in Vancouver, Canada.

Unfortunately for the Pole, it was not a successful debut. Hurkacz participating in three matches, losing all of them. On day two, he played a singles match against Frances Tiafoe and lost 7-5, 6-3, before also playing doubles with Gael Monfils, and losing to Felix Auger-Aliassime and Ben Shelton 7-5, 6-4.

On the final day of the tournament, Hurkacz combined with Andrey Rublev in a must-win doubles match against Tiafoe and Shelton. The pair lost, seeing Team Europe lose the Laver Cup for a second consecutive year, 13-2.

What is Hubert Hurkacz’s highest ranking?

Hubert Hurkacz’s highest ranking to date is No 8, a mark he reached in January 2024. You can find his current world ranking on his ATP Tour profile page.

How did Hubert Hurkacz make the news at Wimbledon in 2021?

Hubert Hurkacz beat Roger Federer in the quarter-finals at Wimbledon in 2021. He didn’t know it at the time but that match turned out to be the last ever Grand Slam match of the Swiss legend’s career.

Did Hubert Hurkacz play in the ATP Finals in 2021?

Hurkacz had a breakthrough season and featured in the season-ending ATP Finals in Turin in November 2021. He finished the round-robin stage with a record of zero wins and three losses.

The Pole started 2021 ranked 35th and won his first career singles ATP Masters Series title at the Miami Open in March. The Pole, seeded 26th, upset five seeded players – No 6 Denis Shapovalov, No 12 Milos Raonic, No 2 Stefanos Tsitsipas, No 4 Andrey Rublev and No 21 Jannik Sinner to win the title.

He also won the titles in Metz and Delray Beach, and reached the semi-finals at Wimbledon, where he defeated Roger Federer in the quarter-finals in straight sets before going down to Matteo Berrettini.

How tall is Hubert Hurkacz?

The Pole measures 6ft 5in (1.96m) tall and weighs 81kg according to the official ATP Tour website.

Who are his parents?

The parents of Hubert Hurkacz are Krzysztof Hurkacz and Zosia Maliszewska-Hurkacz. His mother was the No 1 junior in Poland and his uncles also played tennis, while his grandfather was an international volleyball player.

“The (sporting) genes, the motivation in the family, the love for the sport. I think they have helped me a lot,” he said, according to lastwordonsports.com.

Does he have brothers and sisters?

Hubert Hurkacz he has a younger sister, Nika, who also plays tennis and is hoping to be a professional. She is 10 years younger than Hubert.

When did Hubert Hurkacz start playing tennis?

Hubert Hurkacz began playing tennis at the age of 5. Watching his mother play tennis made him want to do the same thing.

When did he begin his professional career?

Hubert Hurkacz turned professional in 2015. He played his first match in a Davis Cup tie in 2016 against Argentina. Then ranked No 602, he played Renzo Olivo, the world No 167, in a dead rubber. On the tour, his first success came in 2018, in the first round at Roland-Garros, where he beat the American, Tennys Sandgren. Hurkacz won his first ATP Tour title in Winston-Salem in 2019, becoming the second Polish man in history to win an ATP event, after Wojtek Fibak.

Who is his coach?

His coach is the American, Craig Boynton, who coached Jim Courier, Mardy Fish, John Isner and Steve Johnson.

What is his best result at a Grand Slam?

As of March 2022, 2024, his best result at a Grand Slam event has been reaching the semi-finals at Wimbledon in 2021. Hurkacz stunned eight-time champion Roger Federer in the quarter-finals at the All England Club, winning 6-3, 7-6, 6-0 to hand the Swiss a rare bagel on the tour. He was defeated by Matteo Berrettini, of Italy, in the semi-finals 6-3, 6-0, 6-7, 6-4.

Hurkacz’s most recent Grand Slam performance came at the 2024 Australian Open, where he reached the quarter-finals, losing to Daniil Medvedev in five sets.

How much prize money has Hurkacz won?

As of March 22, 2024, Hurkacz has won $14,576,120 in career prize money. You can find his latest prize money stats on his ATP Tour profile page.

Is Hubert Hurkacz active on social media?

Yes, the Pole is active on social media. He has an Instagram account where he is followed by 242,000 people. He posts regularly, mostly photos of himself on the court. Hubert Hurkacz also has an X (formerly Twitter) account, with 95,100 followers. His Facebook page has 98,000 followers.

What makes Hubert Hurkacz special on the court?

While players are taught to keep their eyes on the ball when hitting, Hubert Hurkacz… closes his eyes!

“I confess, it’s true, I close my eyes when I hit the ball. In fact, I’ve probably always played like that, and it’s been a while since I’ve been noticed. I know it might help me sometimes to open my eyes when I hit the ball. So maybe in the future I’ll try to make a change,” he told L’Equipe in 2019

Hubert Hurkacz, ATP Cup 2020

People in this post

Your comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *