into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Chile Open: Schwartzman’s woes continue with second-round loss to Jarry
Nicolas Jarry edged out Diego Schwartzman 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (2) on Wednesday night. He’ll play German qualifier Yannick Hanfmann in the next round
Former top 10 player Diego Schwartzman‘s woes in recent months continued on Wednesday as the fourth seed was upset in the second round of the Chile Open by home favourite Nicolas Jarry.
Jarry reached the quarter-finals with a 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (2) win over Schwartzman at the Club Universidad Católica de San Carlos de Apoquindo in Santiago on Wednesday to inflict the sixth loss for the Argentine in seven matches in 2023.
Dating back to his third round loss at the US Open, Schwartzman has lost 13 of his last 14 matches on the tour.
Jarry, ranked No 87 in the world and a semi-finalist in Rio last week, will play German qualifier Yannick Hanfmann next.
In the first round of the Santiago Open, the Chilean won against Peruvian Juan Pablo Varillas (7-6 (1), 6-4).
Santiago ATP250, other second-round matches (Club Universidad Católica de San Carlos de Apoquindo, clay, USD 642,735)
- Thiago Monteiro beat Marco Cecchinato: 3-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Jaume Munar beat Lorenzo Musetti (1): 6-4, 6-4
- Yannick Hanfmann beat Roberto Carballes Baena: 7-6 (6), 6-2
- Cristian Garin vs. Sebastian Baez
- Tomas Martin Etcheverry vs. Francisco Cerundolo
- Laslo Djere vs. Riccardo Bonadio
- Juan Manuel Cerundolo vs. Dusan Lajovic