Citi Open: Exhausted Fritz retires, Evans through to last eight
Daniel Evans benefited from the abandonment of Taylor Fritz (3-6, 7-6 (6), 4-1) on Thursday and will play Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka in the next round
Evans, ranked No 40, led 3-6, 7-6 (6), 4-1 when Fritz, ranked No 13, pulled out at Rock Creek Park Tennis Center in Washington on Thursday evening. Fritz was exhausted and started to lose it after the tie-break of the second set. The No3 seed lead 6-3, 4-2 before collapsing, allegedly because of the heat.
Later, Fritz posted a message on social media in which he explained that he felt close to passing out a few times on the court, and apologized if he had scared any one.
Daniel Evans will face Japanese Yoshihito Nishioka next. Evans defeated Kyle Edmund (6-1, 6-2) in the previous round of the Citi Open, Washington D.C.
Washington ATP 500, other last 16 results (Rock Creek Park Tennis Center, hard, USD 2.108.110, most recent results first):
- Holger Rune vs. J.J. Wolf : thursday
- Andrey Rublev vs. Maxime Cressy: thursday
- Grigor Dimitrov vs. Sebastian Korda: thursday
- Nick Kyrgios vs. Reilly Opelka: thursday
- Botic van de Zandschulp vs. Frances Tiafoe: thursday
- Mikael Ymer beat Emil Ruusuvuori: 6-3, 6-7 (3), 6-4
- Yoshihito Nishioka beat Karen Khachanov (7): 7-6 (2), 7-6 (1)