Tennis news
into your inbox

Thousand have already subscribed

y

Kyrgios lashes out at ATP for not defending players

After being docked a game penalty during his fourth-round loss to Jannik Sinner, Nick Kyrgios had plenty to say about the ATP

Nick Kyrgios argues with chair umpire Carlos Bernardes after being assessed a point penalty during his fourth round match in the Miami Open at Hard Rock Stadium. Nick Kyrgios argues with chair umpire Carlos Bernardes after being assessed a point penalty during his fourth round match in the Miami Open at Hard Rock Stadium. Image Credit: AI / Reuters / Panoramic

Miami Open 2022: Men’s Singles Draw | Results Order of Play

Australian tennis star Nick Kyrgios lashed out at tennis officials for not defending its players and and not projecting them in a good light.

Kyrgios made the comments after his fourth-round loss to Jannik Sinner at the Miami Open on Monday.

During the match, the Australian was docked a game immediately after losing the first set in a tiebreak, after losing his cool at ATP chair umpire Carlos Bernardes.

While tensions between Kyrgios and the umpire continued through the rest of the match, the 26-year-old Australian said he felt the fines handed out to him for his on-court behaviour were not fair and in line with what was handed out to other players.

“Well, it’s not that I don’t care. I just don’t think it’s fair. Like I just hate to bring up the same things over and over again. But Shapovalov nailed a ball in someone’s eyeball and got 5 grand. I can throw a racquet at Indian Wells, didn’t even hit anyone, and I’m getting 25 grand. Where is like the balance? Like how much do I bring for the sport? Like that’s the problem with tennis. We just don’t protect our stars at all. We love to outcast them and full of bad media. ATP never defends their players, never stands up for them.”

“I’m used to it. Been used to it my whole year. To be honest, it sucks. I know I could put in a great week, great performance. I played seven, six singles matches that the crowd has been pretty much packed for. Tennis is sparking, I think. And, I have one incident where I throw a racquet — and I know it can be dangerous. I know it can potentially be not good. Doesn’t hit anyone. 25 grand.”

‘The ATP doesn’t pick up any media on that’: Kyrgios on making up to the ball boy in Indian Wells

Earlier this month, Kyrgios threw a racquet in frustration on the ground at the end of his quarter-final loss to Rafael Nadal at Indian Wells. The racquet bounced over and just missed hitting a ball boy. The Australian personally apologised for his behaviour to the ball boy in question and handed him his racquet the next day. But Kyrgios said the ATP did not pick up and highlight those kind of stories about him.

“I physically got a racquet, and I went back to the court that next day and personally saw that kid myself and apologised and gave him a racquet. That’s something he’s going to remember like his entire life. The ATP doesn’t, like, pick up any media things on that. Do you know what I mean?”

Your comments

Your email address will not be published.



This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.