into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Brilliant Wawrinka stuns Medvedev to reach last eight in Metz
Stan Wawrinka won against Daniil Medvedev 6-4, 6-7 (7), 6-3 on Thursday evening and will play Swede Mikael Ymer in the next round
Swiss Stan Wawrinka produced one of his best performances in the past few years as he defeated top seed Daniil Medvedev 6-4, 6-7 (7), 6-3 on Thursday to move into the last eight of the Metz Open at Arènes de Metz.
Three-time Grand Slam champion Wawrinka, ranked No 284 who had to qualify for the main draw, had a match point in the second set but shook off the disappointment to win the third and claim a huge victory, though Medvedev contributed to his own downfall through 12 double faults.
Wawrinka will face Swede Mikael Ymer next.
“At the end of the tiebreak I was a little bit frustrated because I started to hesitate a little,” Wawrinka said. “But I think in general, for me it was a super good level, super happy with the win, of course.
“He’s at the top of the rankings, one of the best players. Tonight I’m very happy to have won that one.”
The 37-year-old Wawrinka said he would need to bounce back quickly for his quarter-final on Friday.
“Ymer is young, great player, he has been playing great the last couple of months, so he’s full of confidence,” he said. “But I will try to be ready for tomorrow. I am not young anymore so I need time to recover.”
Metz ATP 250, other second-round results (Arènes de Metz, EUR 597.900, most recent results first):
- Holger Rune vs. Benjamin Bonzi : to be played
- Hubert Hurkacz (2) beat Dominic Thiem: 6-3, 6-4
- Mikael Ymer beat Gregoire Barrere (Q): 6-4, 6-3
- Lorenzo Sonego beat Gilles Simon (WC): 7-6 (2), 6-4
- Alexander Bublik (7) beat Emil Ruusuvuori: 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-3
- Arthur Rinderknech beat Nikoloz Basilashvili (5): 7-6 (11), 6-3
- Sebastian Korda beat Lorenzo Musetti (3): 6-3, 7-6 (6)