into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Vondrousova dashes Osaka’s Olympic dreams with straight-sets upset
With the exit of Naomi Osaka, only three of the top 10 seeds remain on the women’s side at the Tokyo Olympics
- What happened: World No. 2 Naomi Osaka was defeated 6-1, 6-4 by Czech Republic’s Marketa Vondrousova in the third round of the women’s singles event at the Tokyo Olympics on Tuesday.
- Why it matters: Osaka was one of the big favourites in the women’s singles draw, especially after the exit of marquee names such as world No 1 Ash Barty, third seed Aryna Sabalenka, last year’s French Open champion Iga Swiatek, and two-time Wimbledon winner Petra Kvitova in previous days.
- Why else does it matter: Osaka has been one of the most visible faces of the Tokyo Games. She became the first tennis player to light the Olympic cauldron at an Olympic Games during the opening ceremony on Friday, and has also been the poster woman for several famous brands in Japan, building up to the Olympics.
- Other key information: With several upsets in the women’s draw, fourth seed Elina Svitolina, of Ukraine, is the highest seed left in the women’s singles draw. Only three of the top 10 seeds still remain in the women’s event.
- What next: Vondrousova, a former French Open runner-up, will next face either Spain’s Paula Badosa who defeated Argentina’s Nadia Podoroska (6-2, 6-3).
- Other results of the day
Svitolina (4) def. Sakkari (14) : 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
Giorgi def. Ka. Pliskova (5) : 6-4, 6-2
Muguruza (7) def. van Uytvanck : 6-4, 6-1
Bencic (9) def Krejcikova (8) : 1-6, 6-2, 6-3
Pavlyuchenkova (13) def. Sorribes Tormo : 6-1, 6-3
Badosa def. Podoroska: 6-2, 6-3
Rybakina (15) def Vekic: 7-6 (4), 6-4
- The draw for the women’s singles event at the Tokyo Olympics is updated live here at this link
- If you have further questions related to the tennis event at the Tokyo Olympics, hopefully you can find that information here.