into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
World No 2 Daniil Medvedev overcomes tricky opponent in Bublik to reach second round
On a hot sultry day in Tokyo, Daniil Medvedev scored a straight-sets first-round win over Alexander Bublik
- What happened: Second seed Daniil Medvedev scored a 6-4, 7-6 win over Kazakhstan’s Alexander Bublik in the first round of the men’s singles event at the Tokyo Olympics on Saturday
- Why it matters : Medvedev is one of the leading contenders for a medal at the Tokyo Games with his ranking and seeding at No. 2.
- Key stat: Medvedev’s serve was on son on Saturday. The 25-year-old hit 11 aces (and zero double faults) in the match. He hit 64% of his first serves in, winning 75% of those points, and 63% of his second-serve points. He also saved three of the four breakpoints he faced on his serve
- Other key information: The conditions were extremely hot at the Ariake Tennis Park on Saturday during the one-hour, 39 minute encounter. 33 degrees Celsius on Japan’s biggest city.
- What next : Medvedev will face either India’s Sumit Nagal who defeated Denis Istomin (6-4, 6-7, 6-4).
- Other key results so far : Musetti defeated by Millman (6-3, 6-4), Karatsev (11) easy vs. Paul (6-3, 6-2)
- The draw for the men’s singles event at the Tokyo Olympics is updated live here at this link
- If you have further questions on related to the tennis event at the Tokyo Olympics, hopefully you can find that information here