Ostapenko first to reach Wimbledon fourth round
Jelena Ostapenko beat Irina-Camelia Begu in three sets and will play the winner of the match between Greek Maria Sakkari, the No 5 seed, and German Tatjana Maria in the last 16
Former Roland-Garros champion Jelena Ostapenko defeated Romanian Irina-Camelia Begu in three sets to reach the fourth round of of Wimbledon at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in London on Friday.
The 2th seeded Latvian won 3-6, 6-1, 6-1 in one hour and 29 minutes , breaking her opponent six times in the match.
Ostapenko has had the most Grand Slam wins of her career at Wimbledon
Ostapenko, ranked No 17, will play the winner of the match between Greek Maria Sakkari, the No 5 seed, and German Tatjana Maria next.
This was the first time Ostapenko dropped a set in three matches, beating Frenchwoman Oceane Dodin (6-4, 6-4) and Belgian qualifier Yanina Wickmayer (6-2, 6-2) in straight sets in her first two matches.
The win improved Ostapenko’s record at SW19 to 15-6, her most successful Grand Slam where she has reached the semi-finals once and the quarter-finals on another occasion.
Wimbledon (Grand Slam), third-round matches (All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club, grass)
- Harmony Tan vs. Katie Boulter
- Coco Gauff vs. Amanda Anisimova
- Magdalena Frech vs. Simona Halep
- Paula Badosa vs. Petra Kvitova
- Petra Martic vs. Jessica Pegula
- Qinwen Zheng vs. Elena Rybakina
- Ajla Tomljanovic vs. Barbora Krejcikova
- Iga Swiatek vs. Alize Cornet
- Shuai Zhang vs. Caroline Garcia
- Angelique Kerber vs. Elise Mertens
- Marie Bouzkova vs. Alison Riske
- Diane Parry vs. Ons Jabeur
- Heather Watson vs. Kaja Juvan
- Maria Sakkari vs. Tatjana Maria
- Lesia Tsurenko vs. Jule Niemeier