Rybakina through to second Grand Slam quarter-final at Wimbledon
Elena Rybakina defeated Petra Martic in straight sets and will next meet either Frenchwoman Alize Cornet or Australian Ajla Tomljanovic in the quarters
Kazakhastan’s Elena Rybakina, the No 17 seed, advanced to the quarter-finals of Wimbledon by defeating Croat Petra Martic in straight sets at the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club in London on Monday.
Rybkina needed one hour and 21 minutes to beat Martic 7-5, 6-3, hitting 6 aces on the way to victory.
Ranked No 23, the Moscow-born Rybakina will play the winner of the match between Frenchwoman Alize Cornet and Australian Ajla Tomljanovic in the last eight.
The 23-year-old has not dropped a set in four rounds this fortnight, beating American lucky loser Coco Vandeweghe (7-6 (2), 7-5), Canadian Bianca Andreescu (6-4, 7-6 (5)) and Chinese Qinwen Zheng (7-6 (4), 7-5) in straight sets in her earlier matches.
This equals her best performance at a Grand Slams, having reached the quarter-finals at Roland-Garros in 2021.
Wimbledon (Grand Slam), fourth round results (All England Lawn Tennis &Croquet Club, grass)
* Amanda Anisimova vs. Harmony Tan
* Paula Badosa vs. Simona Halep
* Alize Cornet vs. Ajla Tomljanovic
* Ons Jabeur (3) beat Elise Mertens (24): 7-6 (9), 6-4
* Jule Niemeier beat Heather Watson: 6-2, 6-4
* Tatjana Maria beat Jelena Ostapenko (12): 5-7, 7-5, 7-5
* Marie Bouzkova beat Caroline Garcia: 7-5, 6-2