into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
WTA Hobart International: Kenin sets up Kalinina showdown in quarters
Sofia Kenin beat Maryna Zanevska 6-2, 6-3 on Wednesday to score back-to-back WTA wins for the first time since August
American wildcard Sofia Kenin won against Belgian qualifier Maryna Zanevska 6-2, 6-3 to reach the last eight of the WTA Hobart International 1 at the Domain Tennis Centre on Wednesday.
The former Australian Open champion had defeated China’s Lin Zhu (6-2, 6-2) in the first round of the Hobart tournament.
This is the first time since Cleveland in August that Kenin has won back-to-back matches at the WTA Tour level.
Kenin, ranked No 280, will face Ukrainian Anhelina Kalinina, the No 5 seed, next.
In the previous round of the Hobart tournament, Zanevska, ranked No 87, defeated second seed Elise Mertens (6-4, 6-4).
Hobart WTA 250, other second-round results (Domain Tennis Centre, hard, USD 259.303, most recent results first):
- Nuria Parrizas Diaz vs. Yulia Putintseva
- Xinyu Wang vs. Alison Van Uytvanck
- Marie Bouzkova vs. Anna Blinkova
- Lauren Davis (Q) beat Ysaline Bonaventure: 7-6 (1), 6-3
- Anhelina Kalinina beat Tatjana Maria: 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Elisabetta Cocciaretto beat Jasmine Paolini: 6-2, 6-1
- Bernarda Pera (6) beat Laura Siegemund: 6-4, 6-7 (3), 6-4