Barbora Krejcikova triumphs on home soil, claiming her third title of 2021 at Prague
Barbora Krejcikova’s stunning 2021 season continued on Sunday at Prague, as the 13th-ranked Czech defeated Tereza Martincova in straight sets for her third title of 2021.
- What happened: 2021 Roland-Garros champion Barbora Krejcikova won her first career hard court title, defeating Tereza Martincova 6-2, 6-0 in the Livesport Prague Open final on Sunday.
- Key stat: The world No 13 saved all four break points she faced and broke in five of her seven return games to claim victory in 65 minutes. Krejcikova rattled off ten games from 2-2 in the first set to pull away to victory.
- Three for three: Krejickova did not have a single WTA singles title to her name a few weeks before Roland-Garros this year. Since then she has raised the trophy at Strasbourg, Roland-Garros and Prague to improve to 3-2 in finals.
- Czech Mates: Krecjikova becomes the sixth Czech champion in Prague, joining an exceptional list of players who all won the event when it was played on clay: Radka Zrubukova, 1992; Jana Novotna, 1998; Karolina Pliskova, 2015; Lucie Safarova, 2016; Petra Kvitova, 2018.
- Hradecka and Bouzkova win doubles: Czechs also claimed the doubles title, as Lucie Hradecka and Marie Bouzkova claimed the title, 7-6(3), 6-4 over Viktoria Kuzmova and Nina Stojanovic. Hradecka claims her 26th doubles title.
- Follow Tennis Majors for all your tennis news here.
- Follow Tennis Majors features for in-depth analysis on the players you love.