into your inbox
Thousand have already subscribedy
Garcia continues revival with an upset win over Sakkari to reach last 16 in Cincinnati
Caroline Garcia beat Maria Sakkari 7-6 (2), 6-7 (6), 6-1 and will play the winner of the match between Czech Karolina Pliskova, the No 14 seed, and Belgian Elise Mertens in the next round
Garcia, a former world No 4 in singles who is now ranked 35, split the first two sets with Sakkari – both decided by tiebreaks before running away with the third set to complete the 7-6 (2), 6-7 (6), 6-1 at the Linder Tennis Family Center in Cincinnati in two hours and 18 minutes.
The Frenchwoman was one of only two women to book their spot in the third round, the other being second seed Anett Kontaveit.
Garcia has been on a roll over the past few months. She was down to No 75 in the world in early June but had rebounded into the top 40 by winning two WTA titles – Bad Homburg (grass) and Warsaw (clay). She also reached the fourth round at Wimbledon and reached the semi-finals in Lausanne and the quarter-finals in Palermo to improve her record to 27-15 for the season prior to this week.
Cincinnati WTA 1000, second-round matches (Linder Tennis Family Center, hard, USD 2.527.250, most recent results first):
- Anett Kontaveit (2) beat Tereza Martincova (Q): 3-6, 7-5, 6-4
- Paula Badosa vs. Ajla Tomljanovic
- Shelby Rogers vs. Amanda Anisimova
- Aryna Sabalenka vs. Anna Kalinskaya
- Veronika Kudermetova vs. Simona Halep
- Madison Keys vs. Jelena Ostapenko
- Iga Swiatek vs. Sloane Stephens
- Karolina Pliskova vs. Elise Mertens
- Elena Rybakina vs. Garbine Muguruza
- Victoria Azarenka vs. Emma Raducanu
- Jessica Pegula vs. Marta Kostyuk
- Marie Bouzkova vs. Alison Riske-Amritraj
- Ekaterina Alexandrova vs. Shuai Zhang
- Catherine McNally vs. Ons Jabeur
- Sorana Cirstea vs. Petra Kvitova