Roland-Garros: Zverev saves match point to beat Baez in five-set thriller
Alexander Zverev overhauled Sebastian Baez 2-6, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 7-5 on Wednesday to reach the third round and will next meet either Brandon Nakashima or Tallon Griekspoor
World No 3 Alexander Zverev came from two-sets-to-love down and saved a match point late in the fifth set to defeat rising 21-year-old Argentine Sebastian Baez in a five-set thriller and advance to the third round at Roland-Garros on Wednesday.
Baez, ranked No 36 in the world, out on a powerful clinic of clay court tennis to take the first two sets 6-2, 6-4 on Court Philippe Chatrier. The German, who trailed 4-0 in the second set, began to find his way in the match and took the next two sets 6-1, 6-2 to send the match into a decider.
Baez broke the German’s serve to lead 4-2 but was unable to convert the break as Zverev fought back to 4-4. Baez then held a match point on the German’s serve in the 10th game but Zverev saved the same and then broke Baez in the 12th game to complete the 2-6, 4-6, 6-1, 6-2, 7-5 in three hours and 36 minutes.
Zverev is through to meet either American Brandon Nakashima or Dutchman Tallon Griekspoor for a spot in the fourth round.
Paris (Grand Slam): Wednesday men’s second-round results (Stade Roland-Garros, clay, EUR 43.600.000):
- Filip Krajinovic beat Borna Gojo (Q): 7-6 , 6-2, 5-7, 6-1
- Bernabe Zapata Miralles (Q) beat Taylor Fritz (13): 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, 6-3
- Cameron Norrie (10) beat Jason Kubler (Q): 6-3, 6-4, 6-3
- Aljaz Bedene beat Pablo Cuevas: 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 , 6-4
- Karen Khachanov (21) beat Hugo Dellien: 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 , 6-3
- Felix Auger-Aliassime (9) beat Ugo Carabelli (Q): 6-0, 6-3, 6-4
- John Isner (23) beat Gregoire Barrere (WC): 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 7-6