into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Halle: World No 1 Medvedev reaches quarter-finals
Daniil Medvedev beats Ilya Ivashka in straight sets to reach the last eight in Halle where he meets Dutch qualifier Tallon Griekspoor or Spaniard Roberto Bautista Agut
World No 1 Daniil Medvedev is through to the quarter-finals of the Terra Wortmann Open after beating Belarus’ Ilya Ivashka in straight sets at the Owl Arena/Gerry-Weber-Stadion on Thursday.
The US Open champion, who will not be able to play at Wimbledon this year due to the Lawn Tennis Association’s to ban Russian and Belarusian players from the tournament but will be allowed to defend his title in New York, won 7-6 (4), 6-3 in one hour and 36 minutes.
Medvedev slammed 10 aces during the win and saved six of six break point opportunities against his serve.
This was his second consecutive straight sets win in the tournament, having beaten Belgian David Goffin (6-3, 6-2) in his opening match.
The Russian will next play either seventh seed Roberto Bautista Agut or Dutch qualifier Tallon Griekspoor.
Halle ATP 500, second-round results (Owl Arena/Gerry-Weber-Stadion, grass, EUR 2.275.275)
- Oscar Otte beat Nikoloz Basilashvili: 4-6, 6-0, 7-6 (3)
- Karen Khachanov (8) beat Laslo Djere: 7-6 (4), 6-4
- Felix Auger-Aliassime (4) beat Mackenzie McDonald: 7-6 (7), 6-1
- Nick Kyrgios (WC) beat Stefanos Tsitsipas (2): 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
- Pablo Carreno Busta (6) beat Sebastian Korda: 6-4, 0-6, 6-3
- Hubert Hurkacz (5) beat Ugo Humbert: 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Tallon Griekspoor vs. Roberto Bautista Agut