Not the best conditions for Nadal – Eye of the Coach #20
- 24 September 2020 à 13H24
Roland-Garros in September and October?“The conditions will be completely different because of the dates of Roland Garros,” Mouratoglou says. “The temperature will be lower, it’s going to be more humid, so the balls will be less lively than usual.”
Who will benefit, who will struggle?Mouratoglou says that might make things a bit tricky for 12-time champion Rafael Nadal.
“For Rafa’s topspin it’s also going to be more challenging,” he says. “One of the reasons that he is the ultimate clay-court player is because of the quality of his topspin, which is so difficult to control. It’s difficult to control because it’s explosive, and the ball is so explosive also because the courts are fast.”Mouratoglou believes that Rafael Nadal will have to do more work tactically and with his defensive skills in order to continue to dominate on his beloved terre battue. He thinks that the conditions will be less than ideal for Nadal.
“I think these conditions in Roland Garros this year are not the best conditions for Rafa,” Mouratoglou says. “That’s going to be a disadvantage for him compared to every other year. It’s difficult conditions for the ones who have a great quality of topspin and for the ones who play very aggressive tennis because the conditions clearly will be much slower.”
2020 could be a year of surprisesThe coach of Serena Williams thinks it could help help the rest of the players contend with Nadal, which might make it a more interesting tournament than we’ve seen in years on the men’s side. He also believes that Dominic Thiem and Novak Djokovic have a great chance to contend for the title. “It makes it more interesting because for the last 15 years there was not so much suspense at the start of the tournament, I think this year we are going to have a lot of surprises,” he said. “The preparation of the players is completely different, the weather conditions make this tournament a different tournament entirely, and we have two players that are at the top of their games, Dominic Thiem and Novak Djokovic.”
- See more: Watch all Patrick's Eye of the Coach videos
- See More: Eye of the Coach #19 - Dominic Thiem is growing his confidence
- See More: Eye of the Coach #18 - Becoming a leader off the court has helped Naomi Osaka on it
- See more: Eye of the Coach #17 - Zverev's second serve is a big problem
- See more: Eye of the Coach #16 - I see Jennifer Brady as a future Grand Slam champion
- See more: Eye of the Coach #15 - Thiem and Medvedev are favourites (and Thiem will win)
- See more: Eye of the Coach #14 - Félix ? I see this rage coming