into your inbox
Thousands have already subscribedy
Halle: Kyrgios upsets Tsitsipas to reach quarters
Nick Kyrgios scored a 5-7, 6-2, 6-4 to set up a quarter-final showdown with sixth seed Pablo Carreno Busta
Australian wildcard Nick Kyrgios advanced to the quarter-finals of Halle after coming from a set down to upset second seed Stefanos Tsitsipas in three sets at the Owl Arena/Gerry-Weber-Stadion on Wednesday.
Kyrgios, ranked No 65 in the world, lost the first set 7-5 but then bounced back to win the next two sets 6-2, 6-4 to complete the win in two hours and five minutes.
The Australian saved seven of eight break point chances on his own serve while he was able to break Tsitsipas three out of 10 opportunities.
With the win, Kyrgios has now improved to 3-1 lifetime against Tsitsipas (3-0 on the ATP tour while the Greek won their match in the Laver Cup). This was also Kyrgios’ 24th victory over a Top 10 player.
Halle ATP 500, second-round results (Owl Arena/Gerry-Weber-Stadion, grass, EUR 2.275.275)
- Pablo Carreno Busta beat Sebastian Korda: 6-4, 0-6, 6-3
- Hubert Hurkacz (5) beat Ugo Humbert: 7-6 (5), 6-3
- Tallon Griekspoor vs. Roberto Bautista Agut
- Daniil Medvedev vs. Ilya Ivashka
- Nikoloz Basilashvili vs. Oscar Otte
- Laslo Djere vs. Karen Khachanov
- Mackenzie McDonald vs. Felix Auger-Aliassime