Pliskova saves match point to advance; Andreescu reaches Grand Slam third round for first time in two years
Searching for her first Grand Slam, Pliskova used all her experience to overcome Anisimova while Andreescu won in straight sets to reach the third round of a Major for the first time since her 2019 US Open title
Former US Open finalist Karolina Pliskova saved a match point and overcame a spirited challenge from young American Amanda Anisimova in the final evening session match on the Arthur Ashe Stadium.
The fourth seed needed all her experience to beat Anisimova, a former world No 21 player currently ranked 75th in the world, 7-5, 6-7, 7-6 in a high-quality encounter that lasted two hours and 22 minutes and thrilled the fans on Ashe Stadium.
The Czech woman, who also reached the final at Wimbledon in July and is a former world No 1, saved a match point during the win as she continues to chase her first Grand Slam singles title.
Pliskova will next meet Ajla Tomljanovic on Saturday, after the Croatian upset 30th seed Petra Martic 7-6, 6-4. The Czech’s win also ensured that all the top 20 seeds who started the tournament on the women’s draw have advanced to the third round.
2019 champion Andreescu remains unbeaten at the US Open
Former champion Bianca Andreescu scored a straight-sets win over American Lauren Davis to advance to the third round of the US Open on Thursday evening.
The sixth seed needed one hour and 36 minutes to defeat Davis 6-4, 6-4 and move into the round of 32 at a Grand Slam for the first time since her stunning breakthrough win at Flushing Meadows in 2019.
The 21-year-old has never lost a match at the US Open so far, improving to 9-0 after her win on Thursday.
Andreescu will next meet Belgium’s Greet Minnen, who scored a 6-4, 6-4 win over Luidmila Samsonova.
FULL SUMMARY OF THURSDAY’S ACTION AT THE US OPEN
- Seeds winning at the US Open (2nd round): Ash Barty (1), Bianca Andreescu (6), Iga Swiatek (7), Petra Kvitova (10), Belinda Bencic (11), Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova (14), Maria Sakkari (17), Anett Kontaveit (28)
- Seeds beaten at the US Open (2nd round): Paula Badosa (24), Petra Martic (30)
- To follow our full coverage of the 2021 US Open, please visit this page.
- To follow live results, to see the men’s draw and women’s draw, we recommend you follow the official US Open website.
- Today’s full schedule at the US Open is here).
- All the practical information – how to watch the tournament, how to buy tickets and everything else you could possibly need to know – is hopefully in this page.